“The International School Award framework is designed to help you create a whole school approach to international teaching and learning. It is motivational, goal based and driven by network of people and projects that help you in your work…….For young people it is a window into different cultures and countries, preparing them for life in a global society.” (British Council Website)
International School Award
We have been an International school since 2009 and recently were reaccredited with the Full International Schools Award. We are committed to providing learning opportunities that promote Understanding the World on a global scale.
How we promote internationalism in our school:
- We develop an International element throughout the school by planningcross-curricular projects.
- We have made links with a school in Gambia and shared our creative work, projects and displays with the children and staff there and exchanged several emails to each other.
- The children hadopportunities to look at photographs that we received from our partner school and we discussed similarities and differences. This linked in really well with ‘From Our Window’ project.
- The children and parents worked together to record observations of their local community and school environment by making maps and charting the weather.
- We have shared stories from around the world promoting early reading and celebrating World Book Dayby dressing up as our favourite story characters.
- The children have been learning about different cultures, festivals and celebrations such as Christmas, Diwali, Eid, Chinese New Year, Hanukah, Remembrance Day and Easter.